You no longer need a record deal to secure a solid fanbase as an artist in today’s day and age. TikTok regularly breaks up and coming artists, giving just about anyone the opportunity to shine if they’re willing to work with the platform.
However, learning how to make TikToks or promote your social media as an artist can require a bit of a learning curve. Luckily, we’ve put together a jumpstart guide so that you can start reaching new audiences on TikTok. Let’s jump right in!
Why Should You Use TikTok As a Musician?
It’s understandable why some musicians are hesitant to start their followings on TikTok. Making content takes time, and it’s hard enough to balance your schedule as a budding artist.
However, TikTok’s benefits greatly outweigh any downsides. For the first time in history, artists can break through to the top of the charts independently, simply by creating a short-form viral video.
While this is easier said than done, TikTok is unique in that the algorithm is designed to push out high-performing content to new fans. TikTok’s vast reach can help you tap into a whole new fanbase, even if you don’t go viral.
Naysayers may be deterred by the prospect of making content, but the reality is that musicians have always had to find ways to promote their music and connect with their audiences outside of the music itself. We’re incredibly lucky to live in a time and place where we can self-promote on TikTok without shelling out extra cash.
How To Promote Your TikToks As A Musician
To harness the true power of TikTok as a musician, you’ll want to spend some time building an effective promotion strategy. Here are a couple of ways you can promote your TikToks as a musician:
Embed TikTok into Your Link in Bio
In order to successfully promote yourself as a musician, it’s essential to have a supercharged link in bio. Koji provides plenty of free mini apps for musicians, including TikTok Embed which allows you to display your favorite TikToks directly in your link in bio. This is a great way to promote your TikTok to fans. It also allows fans to watch your TikToks in the link in bio player, so you can drum up support for your new video across platforms.
Use TikTok’s Interactive Features
Don’t forget to take advantage of TikTok’s features like “duet”, “stitch”, and “reply with video” that allow you to build off of other high performing videos. You can use these features to directly target the ideal audience for your music and boost your TikTok as a whole.
Learn From Yourself
TikTok generously provides plenty of information for creators. You can look into your analytics tab to see the optimal time to post videos and see what types of videos are landing on the FYP. Whenever you create high performing content, take note. You’ll start to see a common thread between your highest performing videos. From there, you can build an effective, personalized social media strategy.
TikTok is designed for consistent content. In order to increase your chances of landing on the FYP and improving your content creation skills, aim to post regularly. This will also increase your visibility towards fans which will help you connect with your audience on a deeper level.
TikTok is an incredibly powerful tool, but it isn’t the only way to promote your music. The most successful artists learn how to incorporate TiktToks into their promotional strategy all whilst using other tools. Different platforms yield different audiences, so spread the wealth and promote your link in bio across all platforms for the best results.
7 TikTok Prompts For Musicians
Ready to start promoting your music on TikTok but not sure where to start? Here are 7 prompts to get your creative juices flowing:
- Built a beat. TikTok allows you to show your fans exactly what went into building your song. Make a video showcasing how you made a song’s instrumental. There are many ways to do this, so feel free to put your own spin on it!
- Perform a cover. Covers are an excellent opportunity to showcase your talents while capitalizing on a viral tune. Even if you’re not a singer, you can create instrumental covers or add a sick solo on top of the original beat.
- Showcase a friend’s reaction. If you haven’t shared your latest track with a loved one yet, ask if they are willing to react to your song on camera. These videos can make excellent TikToks, since they keep the listener engaged since they’re anticipating your loved one’s reaction.
- Demo an unreleased song. Simply by singing your song or sharing what types of listeners may enjoy your music is a great way to drum up hype or presaves for your future release.
- Make a remix. TikTok is unique in that you can use just about any sound in your videos. Make a remix of a popular song to target their audience with your talents.
- Ask your fans a question. Not sure which demo to pursue? Can’t decide what outfit to wear to your next show? Ask your audience for their opinion! This won’t just give you a strategic answer, but you’ll also give your fans a new way to connect with you by letting them in on the process.
- Show some behind the scenes. Average listeners don’t always know what goes into making music, so show them! Take your audience along while making cover art, recording vocals, or filming a music video.
Building your TikTok platform as a musician takes time and plenty of hard work, but it’s so worth the extra effort! Start promoting your TikToks now with Koji: